UNISON workplace representatives are at the heart of what we do.
Workplace representatives work directly with members to support them through problems at work. They also play a vital role in recruiting new members, thus making the union stronger.
Becoming a contact is a great starting point to get involved in the union. We ask a contact to:
- share information with colleagues and other UNISON members
- keep notice boards up to date with UNISON information
- have regular conversations with members in the workplace
- support people looking to join UNISON
Stewards are elected by members in their workplace and are at the heart of the union. The role of a steward is to:
- be the first and main contact for members
- recruit and retain members
- work to establish UNISON organisation in the workplace
- support and advise members on workplace issues
- represent members of the branch with the employer
You can download the nomination form for stewards below.
Health and safety rep
Health and safety representatives are elected by members in their workplace and play a vital role in keeping our members safe at work. They:
- investigate potential hazards
- consult members on working conditions
- lobby employers to improve safety
- support members with complaints about safety
You can download the nomination form for health and safety reps below.
Union Learning rep
Union Learning reps, or ULRs, promote learning in the workplace using UNISON resources. They:
- find out how lifelong learning could help to resolve issues at work
- promote learning in a workplace
- support members to take up learning opportunities
- encourage adult learners to be active branch members
- organise workers around learning
- support people who want to join UNISON
- recruit new learning reps